In Rochester, NY, where every day is a day for play, today is a little bit bigger. The Strong, home to the National Toy Hall of Fame and International Center for for the History of Electronic Game, among others, announced the third class of nominees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame.
Some titles return from previous nominations, as well as some new additions, though it may be a stretch to call 1981’s Donkey Kong “new”. Nominations were open through February 28.
2017 World Video Game Hall of Fame Nominees:
- Solitaire – Microsoft Windows
- Myst – PC
- Mortal Kombat – arcade
- Donkey Kong – arcade
- Halo –Microsoft Xbox
- Resident Evil – Sony PlayStation
- Portal – PC
- Final Fantasy VII – Sony PlayStation
- Pokémon Red and Green – Nintendo Game Boy (previously nominated in 2015 and 2016)
- Street Fighter II – Super NES (previously nominated in 2016)
- Wii Sports – Nintendo Wii
- Tomb Raider – PC (previously nominated in 2016)
Six games will be inducted after a public voting period and revealed early this summer. Visitors to the museum can view the current inductees and play a wide range of arcade classics today.